What Is in Bulletproof Coffee
Bulletproof coffee is nothing more than a regular cup of coffee, combined with butter (preferably from cows that only eat grass) and a medium-chain triglyceride oil (coconut, palm, walnut oil).
For mixing it is done in a blender, until the mixture is emulsified, resulting in a latte-like appearance and with an oily taste.
Putting butter in coffee may sound crazy, but bulletproof coffee advocates say it is highly satisfying. They claim that it is good for fighting hunger and anxiety and that it eliminates the nerves caused by caffeine intake. In short, they say it’s like coffee, but better.
Seen that way it looks very nice, but the reality is that bulletproof coffee can pose a serious risk to your health.
If you lack the time in the morning to prepare breakfast, with this bulletproof coffee you can activate your metabolism. The effects of caffeine and healthy fats will also provide you with energy quickly, will improve your concentration, and will satiate you for a long time.
250 ml just coffee
2 tbsp. ghee or butter (from cow’s milk)
tbsp Coconut OIl
- Put the butter and oil in a tall mixer bowl. You can also add vanilla, cinnamon, or maple syrup.
- Then pour a little hot coffee on top so that the butter melts.
- Crush the ingredients well with the mixer until obtaining a homogeneous consistency.
- Add the rest of the coffee.
- Start your day with energy with this bulletproof coffee!
- Tip If you add a little cinnamon, vanilla powder, or maple syrup, you can give the coffee an irresistible sweetness.
Is it a good idea to have bulletproof coffee?
You could say that, in a way, coffee is like the gasoline that moves society. It is that impulse that many people need to wake up and face a day with energy, and even to stay focused. Of course, without forgetting that depending on its preparation it can be a drink with excellent flavor.
But for many coffee enthusiasts, this, by itself, no longer gives them the same satisfaction and they want something new more powerful. This is how bulletproof coffee appeared, which is not a specific type of coffee or brand, but rather a way of preparing it.
This coffee is supposed to help you lose weight, provide much more energy than regular coffee and make you invincible, but we must go into its properties to understand if it actually has more advantages than disadvantages.
Why shouldn’t you have bulletproof coffee?
1. It is a cup of fat
Although many myths about fat have been torn down and it has been proven that we need a fat component in our diet, it is still true that consuming fat in high amounts is harmful to health, and in a single cup of bulletproof coffee, the amount of fat is very high.
In this way, a normal fat intake, which can come from healthy foods, will not harm you, but swallowing all the fat you need in one day will not do you any good.
However, if you still insist on taking risks with bulletproof coffee, it is best to consult a doctor first.
2. Does not keep his promises
In theory, it is placed as a magical energy drink that also helps you lose weight, but it has not been proven that this is true and perhaps we are only facing anecdotal evidence.
It is true that medium-chain triglyceride oils do not go through the normal digestion process, but are sent directly to the liver, so they are not stored as fat in the body.
However, it remains unproven that this helps to lose weight since to get it you need to enter a caloric deficit, which will not do the use of this type of oils by itself.
On the contrary, if we consume a cup of bulletproof coffee, we will be consuming an exorbitant amount of calories in a single drink.
3. It can distract you from your healthy habits
The truth is that a magic potion has not yet been invented that can overcome true healthy habits, such as eating a good diet and exercises for sustained periods of time and is no exception.
It is best that you accustom your body to a healthy lifestyle and eventually, you will see that change in your energy levels and concentration.
Is what bulletproof coffee promises true?
Others blame him for his weight gain and say that putting fat in coffee is simply wrong. Are you doubting whether to try it or not? This is what we know about this hot trendy buttered drink:
First things first … What is it?
Bulletproof coffee is simply a caffeinated beverage that feeds ketosis, originally made by mixing MCT oil, unsalted butter, and coffee. It is said that this combination stimulates metabolism and energy levels, improves cognitive function, and provides long-term satiety.
What is MCT Oil?
The acronym MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides and is a form of saturated fatty acids found in coconut oil. It is said to have a lot of health benefits, including better cognitive and metabolic function.
The medium-chain fatty acids are transported to the bloodstream, directly to the liver, and easily and quickly to the mitochondria, this means that they are used immediately as a source of energy instead of being stored as fat. It also involves an explosion of energy and thermogenesis, thereby accelerating metabolism.
Fat and coffee … why this combination?
MCTs are some of the healthiest fats that our body needs, however, often in western countries we do not consume enough in our diet.
How can we solve it?
Think about it: what is the first thing we do most when we wake up in the morning? We had a cup of coffee.
The combination of MCT and coffee is, therefore, an effective way to get the dose of healthy fats from the first hours of the day.
This signal not only tells your body to start burning fat for energy during the day but also provides you with the calories needed to reactivate the metabolism, especially if you tend to avoid breakfast and then wonder why you can’t Lose weight or concentrate at work.
It is also said that the mixture of caffeine and fat generates an increase in energy that will last for hours and also, as the digestion of fat slows the absorption of caffeine, many bulletproof drinkers say they do not experience normal nervousness that is obtained by drinking coffee.
So … why is there so much confusion about it?
So far, we have made this bulletproof method not seem problematic, right? Now is the time to reveal the dangers … because unfortunately there are some:
• Bulletproof coffee is touted as a breakfast replacement. This means replacing a highly nutritious meal with something that lacks many essential nutrients.
• Of course, studies show that saturated fats are good, but these studies were conducted on people who consumed normal amounts, without adding large amounts to coffee every day and taking it as a meal.
High doses can be harmful if consumed outside the evolutionary norms and can also negatively influence cholesterol levels. Keep in mind that each person’s body is different and that, although some say that bulletproof coffee helped them lose weight, others blame it for their weight gain.
Bulletproof coffee is a drink that favors ketosis and is prepared with coffee, MCT oil, and unsalted butter. It is known that the combination increases metabolism, energy levels, and even mental concentration and cognitive function.
For that reason, many people are replacing breakfast with a daily cup of this content.
However, bulletproof coffee can generate a good amount of negative side effects, such as weight gain by consuming unnatural doses of saturated fat and negative effects on cholesterol levels.
400 calories in a cup of bulletproof coffee
The recipe for this 400-calorie cup of coffee is as follows:
1 cup of espresso (or a cup of good quality organic coffee, it has to be organic)
1 tablespoon of cold-pressed coconut oil of good quality.
1 tablespoon natural butter It is important that it be without salt.
Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee
- It is a high energy drink, Bulletproof coffee provides about 441 calories, so it is only taken as a full breakfast early.
- It is a physical and mental stimulant because of its high-quality caffeine and polyphenols content, natural coffee beans, rich in caffeine and antioxidants.
- It contains healthy fatty acids, omega-3, and conjugated linoleic acid. Only if the butter used comes from milk from cows fed on natural pastures, which are rich in healthy fatty acids.
- It provides butyric acid, an anti-inflammatory fat, but only if it is made with butter or milk ghee from natural pastures, again.
- Contains milk fat-soluble vitamins: K, A, D and E.
- It helps maintain bacterial balance in the digestive system.
- It is satiating, it helps to lose weight and burn fat.
- This is only valid if you take a diet low in carbohydrates and high in fat such as a ketogenic or paleo diet.
- If your diet is normal, it has no thermogenic effects, only satiating, but you will be taking a lot of calories.
- It is very rich, or so those who try it say, that it is a coffee with a lot of flavor and texture (it is better for how expensive it is if it is done well)
Disadvantages of Bulletproof coffee
- A drink very rich in saturated fat, although, of the healthy type, a cup of Bulletproof coffee provides about 51 g of fat, 80% of which is saturated fat
- It can make you gain weight if you don’t follow a ketogenic diet. As happens when you drink this coffee with your breakfast. Too many calories for a normal person
- It is a drink with 0 grams of carbohydrates and barely has proteins, and we must not forget that carbohydrates are basic nutrients in the diet, we must reduce those that are negative for health, but not eliminate them all
- It does not provide fiber, no fiber. Although it is a laxative coffee for fat and caffeine, it is important to drink some fiber at each meal, especially at breakfast
- It is not a full breakfast, and being the only thing you eat and being very satiating, it can make you reduce the intake of essential nutrients in the morning
- It is routine. If you take it every morning, you lose the advantage of making different breakfasts that help balance your diet by seasons and by nutrients.
- It can be indigestible, due to excess fats and caffeine first thing in the morning.